I Live With You

For week 12 I read, I Live With You by Carol Emshwiller. This story was extremely interesting. It was told from the point of view of what I would assume is a woman. This story did not reflect the perspectives of majoritarian culture because both the narrator and the woman the narrator was stalking/living with were both sort of "wall flowers." These type of people go usually unnoticed in society. This woman who we don't learn much about as the readers seems to be homeless and just moves from place to place causing a ruckus. I found it interesting that she never steals anything though. I don't understand how someone could live in the same house as you and go unnoticed for such a lengthy period of time! It was very interesting to see things from the perspective of this strange character that snuck into the woman's house. I think it would've been even better if at some point we got to see the perspective of the other woman and the man that eventually enters the story. The part where all three of them are in the bedroom is a bit bizarre and caused me to question what the narrator's motives truly were. It almost seemed like she wanted to become the other woman. In the end she says, "I want for us to live as we did but you'll set traps. I'll trip on trip wires. Fall down the stairs in the middle of the night...I made you what you are today, grand and real, but you'll lock me up up here with nothing but your mousey clothes. Your old trunks. Your dust and dark." The narrator seemed to move from place to place once she got bored but in this situation she has wished to stay I think because she grew attached to the woman but unfortunately, the woman is scared of her. So the narrator moves on to her next venture. This short story really grabbed my attention and I wish that the author would take this idea and write a full novel for it because I would definitely read it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Akata Witch

Fragments of a Hologram Rose

The Future