Akata Witch

For this week I read Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor. This novel has been my favorite read so far in this course.  Part of it had to do with my fascination of the country of Nigeria and my curiosity about albinism but the story was very interesting and kept me engaged the whole time. The society of the Leopard People and the school of Hogwarts in Harry Potter have many similarities and it's definitely something that you pick up on while reading. It was very fun to learn about the Leopard People though because there was this introduction not only to magic and mystery but to Nigerian culture as well. I loved the excerpts from Fast Facts for Free Agents, it made me feel like I was learning along with Sunny. I related a lot to Sunny, especially the dynamic she seemed to have with her father. Her father obviously didn't hate her as Sunny assumed but he was much harder on her than her siblings. I wish that the author could have explored their relationship a little but more in the story because I feel that it was an important part of Sunny's character that didn't get touched on enough. Sunny's confidence and strength is truly admirable especially for a girl at the age of 12. I think the author did an amazing job at capturing the thoughts of teenage kids. I thought it was interesting that we never learn Che Che or Sasha's age and wondered why the author chose to omit this information. I think it may be because Che Che is a Princess of Nimm and is supposed to be somewhat eccentric and weird like her mother. I think that she is most likely a few years older perhaps 14 or 15 and is friends with the younger kids due to her strangeness. Orlu's character was also very interesting to me because although he is seemingly one of the youngest in the group he is still clearly the leader. He showed great maturity for someone who is around the age of 12 years old. His self control and his ability to take consequences into account before making a decision was quite impressive. Each of these characters were so complex and they felt so real. I think that might be another reason why this book is my favorite one. I really enjoyed getting to know all of the characters. This book has furthered my interest in Nigerian culture and I hope to read more books similar to this one.

Comments

  1. Wow! I love this post! You really got me wanting to read this book!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fragments of a Hologram Rose

The Future