Anansi Boys



For week 8, I read Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman. This book was so much fun! I had a much easier time getting through this one than last week's "The Magicians". I found something to chuckle at almost every other page and the way that Gaiman weaves the stories of Anansi the African trickster God into his novel is very interesting. According to the book, all stories belong to Anansi. That was one way that Gaiman seems to kind of reinvent myths and make it relevant to the contemporary world. Gaiman even gives some of the evolution of the tales, explanations of how some people sometimes think that Anansi is a rabbit, how Anansi’s tales became African American Br’er Rabbit tales. I really enjoyed the book and learned a little about mythology in the process. I do wonder though if someone who is actually from the Caribbean or from the African diaspora  would enjoy the novel as much as I did, having no knowledge of Anansi beforehand. Neil Gaiman is from England if I'm not mistaken so I'm not sure how accurately he depicted the characters and their cultures but it seemed very accurate from my understanding.  Overall, the book was very humorous and gave me an interest in African myths. I'd like to read more books similar to this one. I think I may pick up "American Gods" next.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Akata Witch

Fragments of a Hologram Rose

The Future